Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Why do I do it?

I often get asked why I work locums. I could come up with a plethora of reasons that sound good, but my self reflection tells me that I get board easily. I enjoy challenges. I enjoy going somewhere I have never been, meeting new people, and being able to handle whatever comes through the door. I had a full time job as a provider in a large metropolitan ER. I went to the same place twelve days a month and did the same thing each of those twelve days. I enjoyed the staff that I worked with, but after a while it lost it's challenge.

This type of work is definitely not for everyone. Let me give you a glimpse of a typical trip. Last Friday I got up at 4:45 am and left for the airport at 6:00  (about a 30 minute trip). I parked the truck in long term parking and then rode the shuttle to the terminal. Check in, clear security after having my hands swabbed for explosives and my computer bag sniffed by the TSA dog (thankfully he didn't mark it), and get to the appropriate gate by about 7:15. Board the first plane of the day and depart Memphis at 8:20. Now between this time and 10:50 I flew to Minneapolis/St Paul and deplaned at gate G 24, did a forced march from one end of the airport to gate A 10 ( which is a heck of a long way if you've ever been to this airport) to get on my next flight that was scheduled to depart at 11:25 pm and was boarding as I got to the gate. This next flight was to Minot, ND and at 12:50 I was getting into a hospital van for the one hour trip to my assignment. My shift started at 5:00 pm. I remained on call from then until 9:00 am Monday morning (you don't have to do the math, that is 64 hours). The short version of the flights home is just the reverse of my trip Friday, except I did not leave Minot until 12:30 pm. At 6:30 pm Monday evening I was sitting in Firebirds in Collierville (home) with my family eating prime rib.

And the best part is I don't work again for 9 days. That means this week when my son is out of school for Thanksgiving, I get to spend the week with him and my wife.

And THAT makes it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment