Wednesday, November 28, 2012

What do I pack?

Well, it's Wednesday and I am getting ready to spend the weekend working in a critical access hospital in rural North Dakota. For this assignment, I will be the ER provider in a level V ER, the hospitalist for acute inpatients, the "on call provider" for swing bed patients,  and the "on call provider" for several local nursing homes. My shift starts Friday afternoon at 5 pm and ends at 9 am Monday morning.

So how do I decide what to pack and take with me for this assignment? This is a facility that I have been to several times, so I have an insight to what is available and the accommodations provided. This makes preparation much easier. I know that there is wireless Internet available in the apartment I will be staying in and hard wire Internet access throughout the facility.  I know that the "dress code" is scrubs. I know that once I arrive at the facility I will not have to leave the building unless I choose to. I am provided a meal ticket to eat in the cafeteria three meals a day, and there are snacks available during the night. I also know that the temperature on Friday morning in Memphis when I leave will be around 50 degrees. When I arrive at the airport in North Dakota, it will be about 20 degrees.

Now the way I pack is probably completely different than anyone else. What you need to do is get into a "routine". Just as in health care we become proficient by repetition, we can become proficient in packing by repetition. For these short trips I use a Victorinox Spectra carry on wheeled bag and a computer backpack.

First we will pack the computer bag:
  1) Laptop
  2) Power cord (yes I have gotten to an assignment without the power cord)
  3) Copies of all nursing licenses
  4) BLS, ACLS, PALS, ATLS provider and instructor cards
  5) Small digital camera and transfer cable (I use one with that requires AA batteries to eliminate a charger)
  6) iTouch
  7) iPhone
  8) Charging cords and adapters for my iPhone and iTouch
  9) Legal pad
10) A couple of current journals ( for airport and airplane reading)
11) File folder with assignment paperwork (this will vary from assignment to assignment)
12) Stethoscope
13) Sony noise cancelling headphones for inflight listening to itouch
14) Toiletry bag (one quart) w/ shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, mouthwash (all less than 4 oz per TSA guidelines. - This can be placed in the carry on after TSA check in.

Now for the carry on:
  1) Toiletry bag w/ toothbrush, bottle of naproxen sodium, bottle of benadryl (comes in handy when changing timezones), vitamins, Rx meds, Tums
  2) Underwear (number of days gone + one pair)
  3) Socks or footies (number of days gone + one)
  4) Scrubs (three sets)
  5) Dress shirt and nice jeans or khakis (always prepared)
  5) Tennis shoes (one pair)
  6) Workout DVDs and/or movies

Normally when I travel I wear a polar fleece type jacket. Since the weather will be cold, I will still wear my polar fleece when I leave Memphis and I will carry my heavy coat with a hat and gloves in the pockets. I don't try to pack it because it takes up too much space (and it makes a great pillow while flying). I won't need it when I leave Memphis but I will need it when I arrive in North Dakota and while I am there.

By using a check list, I have found that I very seldom arrive without any "essential" items. I have another check list for extended trips and I adjust all check lists for the geographic area and time of year (if I am going south in the summer, I take a bathing suit, etc).

As always, I am not endorsing any particular products, I am just advising what works for me.

Safe travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment