Thursday, November 22, 2012

The Women In My Life

There are several women in my life that make it possible for me to do what I love.

First and foremost is my wife, without whom this would be impossible. She is not only my wife, but my best friend, soul mate, my biggest fan, and very often my "reality check". She is a wife, mother, part time NP, keeps the laundry done, makes sure there is food in the house, attempts 7th grade homework, makes sure our son is where he is suppose to be (occasionally on time), walks the dogs, and deals with whatever comes up unexpectedly while I am gone.
She does all these things without griping, bitching, complaining, or whining. In her spare time she trains twice a day (she is training for her next half marathon on December 1st with a goal of completing a Half Ironman next August), becoming "healthy",  not eating meat (there is a limit to how "healthy" I will ever be and no meat ain't one of them), and turning into an amazing "middle age" (her words not mine) athelete.

Next inline, yet no less important is my mother-in-law. While some of you are cringing, I am blessed with the bestest mother-in-law I could ever hope for. She is always a phone call away to help out with whatever needs to be done. She offers encouragement and does occasionally look at me with a straight face and asks me "what the hell were you thinking?" (no she doesn't really say "hell", but that is her implication). She is my wife's best friend and confidante as well as an exceptional grandmother (don't EVER call her "granny", she will get her flying monkeys after you).

The last woman in my life is my trainer, Misty. I have never been skinny and probably never will be unless I contract some terminal disease. I have been "short for my weight" all my life. A few months ago, I became very tired and didn't have the energy to get out of bed. I went in to see my PCP (no I did not try to heal myself) who slapped me in the face with the cold reality that I am no longer bullet or laser proof (if I ever was). Now understand that 14 months ago (while living in North Dakota) all my labs were fine. Dr H informed me that my triglycerides were over 500, my Vitamin D level was 6 (folks I live in the south where there is plenty of sunshine), and testosterone was something I read about in school.
So, I decided that I would make a few changes and would NOT take this news without a fight. I chainged my diet, track my food, supplement my vitamin D, started on Trilipix, supplement my testosterone, and hired a personal trainer. In the past 9 weeks I have lost a little over 30 lbs, decreased my BMI by 10, and overall inproved my cardio and strength.
Now Misty is not a Barbie look alike, nor does she wear skimpy outfits like the trainers do on TV. What Misty brings to my life is accountability and her knowledge of exercise physiology. I am smart enought to know that I am accountable only to myself for my choices and healty (or lack there of). Although I pay for Misty's services, she puts alot of time and effort into my training. She goes above and beyond what some other trainers will do. As an example, she is putting together an exercise program for me that I can continue as I travel. I rationalze that if I don't train and exercise I will be showing disrespect to her for all her tireless efforts.
With my next asignment starting next month being 8 weeks in Alaska, it is important that I can exercise without a fully equipt fitness center. She is the only woman that I allow to kick my ass on a regular basis. Oh, did I mention that she is a 5th degree Black Belt in tae kwon do?

As I begin to prepare for my trip to Alaska, today I am thankful for the women in my life. Those that accept me for who and what I am and continually push and encourage me to be better. And in Misty's case,continue to kick my ass and help me be accountable.

2 comments:

  1. Great job Tommy, making healthy lifestyle changes, you have the best example of an inspiration at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do Val. And she's cute...... :-)

    ReplyDelete