Saturday, December 8, 2012

Don't you know it is cold in Alaska?

     After today, I have 4 more days at home before I leave for an eight week assignment in Alaska. I am scurrying around attempting to complete all my "honey do" tasks prior to my departure. My last major project is completing the back yard fence so my wife and son will not have to brave the elements while I am gone to walk the dogs (this is pretty high up on my list, if you don't believe it just ask my wife). My progress is halted due to several days of rain, thunder, and lightning. But on the bright side the forecast for Monday is clear, but the high temperature will be around forty.

     Over the past few days, I have had several friends "remind me" that it is cold in Alaska. The most recent reminder came this morning from a friend in North Dakota by way of an IM. These reminders make me chuckle (especially when coming from North Dakota). I appreciate their good intentions, but most of them don't know "where" in Alaska I will be and know nothing about the climate. They seem to forget that this is "not my first rodeo".

     Now I consider myself a fairly well educated individual, after all I have completed a doctorial program and earned the right to put Dr. in front of my name and most of the alphabet after my name. I am reasonably computer literate (just don't ask me about programing or what ever is on the inside of the thing) and have access to the internet. Before I accept an assignment, I research the area and the facility thoroughly. I currently reside in the Memphis, TN area. I lived for two years (2010 & 2011) in North Dakota, and have traveled extensively through out the United States. I am very familiar with the terms "cold, "wet", "humid", "torrential rain", "dry", "blizzard", and "hot".  Let me share with you what I have discovered about my Alaska assignment.

     My first reference for a new place is City-Data (www.city-data.com). Here I can find information on the climate, cost of living, housing, government, tourism, and yes even the number of registered sex offenders. Let's look at a comparison between Dillingham, AK, and Oakes, ND.

     Dillingham, AK:
Population in 2010: 2,329. Population change since 2000: -5.6%

Estimated median household income in 2009: $76,481 (it was $51,458 in 2000)

Median gross rent in 2009: $976

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Dillingham: 110.5 (more than average, U.S. average is 100)

According to our research there were 18 registered sex offenders living in Dillingham, Alaska in July 2011
The ratio of number of residents in Dillingham to the number of sex offenders is 129 to 1.
Average climate in Dillingham, Alaska
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Dillingham, Alaska average temperatures


     Oakes, ND:

Population in 2010: 1,856. Population change since 2000: -6.2%

Estimated median household income in 2009: $36,772 (it was $30,263 in 2000)

Median gross rent in 2009: $473

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Oakes: 81.1 (low, U.S. average is 100)

According to our research there was one registered sex offender living in Oakes, North Dakota in July 2011
The ratio of number of residents in Oakes to the number of sex offenders is 1856 to 1

Average climate in Oakes, North Dakota

Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations

Oakes, North Dakota average temperatures

     As you can see, Dillingham's temperature extremes are not as hot nor as cold as Oakes, ND.

     I also search for local newspapers, radio stations, and city web pages for the area I am investigating. This research allows me to properly pack and gives me an idea of opportunities for adventure while on an assignment. There are many other great sites with information on cities and areas, these are some that I use.

     And for my friends in North Dakota, "don't ya'll know that it is cold there?"

No comments:

Post a Comment