Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The journey begins


As some of you know, I began a new journey into academia on November 3rd. I have assumed a full-time faculty position at The University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Nursing in Memphis, Tennessee. I will be teaching in the Adult Gerontology-Acute Care Nurse Practitioner concentration. I will still be doing some “rental assignments” but will be staying closer to home due to my son’s health condition and trying to get him through high school.

Hopefully, I will have more time to post my ramblings and share some educational information with you on a more frequent basis. I will also continue to inform you of the “WTF” moments I observe in my everyday life.

As I sit here typing, a commercial comes across the radio taunting “free pancakes for our veterans today”. What does a “free pancake” have to do with acknowledging the sacrifices that have been made by those who have, and are currently, serving in our armed forces? Does this “marketing plan” not tend to shift the focus from the veterans to the “restaurant”?  Also, why do we just want to acknowledge the veterans today? Should we not be thankful and appreciative every day?

The very fact that I am able to blog is a direct result of the freedoms I have enjoyed for nearly six decades to rant, rave, ramble, and comment on my life, politics, and the general state of the world. I do not fear “political consequences” for my postings because my country men and women have sacrificed so I may experience these and many other freedoms.

Throughout my travels I have: given my seat on a flight to a soldier headed home from deployment and taken another flight, paid for a sailor’s cup of coffee, and thanked many service men and women for their service. Does this make me special, not at all, it makes me an American. So while we celebrate and honor our veterans with parades and accolades today, let’s continue doing it the other 363 ¼ days of the year!

To the Veterans and those that will become Veterans, know that you are in my daily prayers. For those that have served or are serving now, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SEREVICE! Because you choose to serve, my family and I sleep better at night.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I happened to stumble upon your blog! Are you by chance currently accepting applications to precept FNP students next spring or fall semesters? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this great post! - This provides good insight. You might also be interested to know more about generating more leads and getting the right intelligence to engage prospects. Techno Data Group implements new lead gen ideas and strategies for generating more leads and targeting the right leads and accounts.Nurse Practitioner Email List

    ReplyDelete