Saturday, October 25, 2014

“Well if you’re gonna do it, do it right!"


Several years ago an attorney friend called and asked me if I would do him a “favor” and look at some medical records. When I asked him “why”, he informed me that he needed someone to explain items in the records in “layman’s terms”. Ralph said,” hey what are friends for?” So, being the good friend, I went to his office and broke down all the “official medical terminology” into common terms for him. Now this wasn’t too hard, it involved things like telling him that the “femur” was “da big bone it the top of the leg”. Really it wasn’t quite that simple, but you get the idea. A few days later, I received a check from him in the mail. Interestingly enough, on the memo line it said “nurse consultant”.  
Ever since then I have had attorneys contact me, not for “favors”, but to inquire if I would be available to review medical records and what my “rates” were. Now being a fairly prudent business person, I did some checking and spoke with my attorney friend who helped me figure out what the going rates were in this field and came up with a “rate sheet”. Interestingly enough not one of the attorneys early on ever asked me if I had a clue about what I was doing. They contacted me because my attorney friend told them what I had done for him and he, evidently, was happy.
So why are Ralph and I bringing this up now? We all know how Ralph gets when he gets something on his mind. Ralph kept saying; “if you are going to do this, you need to really know what you are doing. You know they teach this stuff and have certifications and everything….” So about six months ago I began to seriously start researching Legal Nurse Consultant training and certifications. I found everything from Community College classes to private firms that, for a large fortune and your first born child, will train you to perform Legal Nurse Consulting. I researched all the opportunities I found, weighed the cost, student satisfaction feedback, locations of the courses, and several other things while I was trying to decide which offering was the best fit for me.
I finally decided on the program offered by Elizabeth Rudolph, JD MSN RN (and Ralph thinks I have a lot of letters after my name) for several reasons. The first was her reputation and credentials, everything I heard about her and her program was positive. Secondly, she is a “Memphis Girl”, so if it wasn’t what I thought it would be it wasn’t long distance to make those annoying “unhappy customer” phone calls. And lastly, I could afford it both in time and dollars. It is a two day program with a certification exam at the end of the final day.
So today was day one and even Ralph liked it. The class represents a variety of clinical experience and it seems everyone is there to learn and absorb knowledge. Questions are welcome and all the legal mumbo jumbo and terminology is explained in terms that even Ralph can understand. Topics other than the finite legal items include helpful tips on everything from advertising and marketing to billing. I am looking forward to tomorrow’s class and I might even become a Certified PLNC tomorrow on my birthday!
I will definitely post a blog tomorrow with a subjective review of the second day of class. Ralph and I are sure we won’t be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment